What You Need to Know on the Day of Your Ceremony
To ensure a safe, healthy and enjoyable visit for you and your guests, we offer the following important information and guidelines.
Governor Carney’s order formalizes the following, effective at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, May 21:
Outdoors, Delawareans should follow masking guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Risk for COVID-19 spread increases in large crowds that include unvaccinated people. In those cases, the CDC recommends that everyone continue to wear a mask.
As a reminder, masks that cover both nose and mouth are still required while at Delaware Athletics facilities. Guests are to maintain social distancing between themselves and others and sit only in their designated seats while attending all ceremonies. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Commencement is held outdoors, rain-or-shine, so be prepared for all types of weather. Guests should dress comfortably as it is usually warm, and Delaware Stadium has no shade. Umbrellas are not permitted because they block the view of those behind you. Please remember sunblock, hats and the needs of the more vulnerable members of your party. Guests and graduates are permitted to bring in a sealed non-alcoholic beverage and snack.
- Gates open two hours before the ceremony. Graduates should report to the graduate check-in station 1.5 hours before their ceremony. It is very important that graduates arrive at the appropriate check-in time to ensure they receive their ticket and take their seat on the field. Those who arrive after the ceremony begins, may not be able to enter the field. Please consider limiting the items you bring to your field seat. You will be leaving your seat and processing across the platform. Staff is not responsible for lost items.
- Check in times as follows:
Thursday, May 27, 2021
Doctoral Hooding Graduate Check-in Time: 2:30 pm
Friday, May 28, 2021
Ceremony 1 Graduate Check-in Time:
College of Arts & Sciences
7:30 am Ceremony 2 Graduate Check-in Time:
College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
College of Earth, Ocean & Environment
College of Engineering
Saturday, May 29, 2021
Ceremony 3 Graduate Check-in Time:
College of Education & Human Development
College of Health Sciences
7:30 am Ceremony 4 Graduate Check-in Time:
Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics
Biden School of Public Policy & Administration
Sunday, May 30, 2021
2020 Ceremony Graduate Check-in Time: 9:00 am
- Proceed to the graduate check-in station, located near the northwest entrance gate to the stadium (side of stadium near the field house, see the map below). At this station, you will show your green check mark from the health check questionnaire and pick up your ticket.
- Proceed to the graduate entrance gate, go through the security check and show your ticket. After showing this ticket at the gate (to enter the stadium) please retain it. This ticket is also the card used for reading your name as you process across the platform.
- Proceed to your seat on the field. All field seating is general seating.
If you need assistance with missing or incomplete academic regalia, please see the UD bookstore kiosk under the west grandstand after you enter the stadium.
Prior to Arriving at Delaware Stadium
Everyone entering Delaware Stadium will be subject to official local health restrictions and guidance, including a health check questionnaire that must be completed on the day of the ceremony. You cannot enter the stadium without completing the questionnaire.
Anyone who is having symptoms of COVID-19, or is listed among the CDC’s at-risk population, should stay home and should refrain from attending. Complete your health check questionnaire and receive a green check mark. Please keep the green check mark on your smartphone or print out the completed form and bring it with you to the stadium. If you do not have a smartphone, paper forms will be available at the health check station.
- Please note: This questionnaire must be completed on the day of the ceremony you are attending.
- If you receive a red check mark, you will not be permitted to enter Delaware Stadium.
Need help managing your digital tickets – click here to view the Digital Ticket Guide.
- Download your tickets to your digital wallet.
- Once tickets and passes are added to a digital wallet, it requires no data usage to view the ticket.
- If you do not have a smartphone, please use your online account to reissue yourself a print-at-home ticket or contact the Delaware Ticket Office.
- Once your ticket is scanned and you enter the stadium, you will not be allowed to re-enter if you leave.
Please plan to arrive early. There may be heavy traffic as well as additional delays entering the stadium due to social distancing measures and health and safety protocols.
Attending the Ceremony
Directions and parking information, including accessible parking instructions, can be found at https://commencement.udel.edu/directions-and-parking/.
The West Entrance Gates to Delaware Stadium will be open to guests. Security personnel will be at each entrance conducting bag checks. We reserve the right to deny admittance to any individual. Please see the FAQ page https://commencement.udel.edu/faq/ for a list of prohibited items.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no concessions available for purchase at the ceremonies. You can bring a sealed non-alcoholic beverage and snacks.
All guest seating is assigned. Seating is designed to adhere to social distancing standards. Please remain in your assigned seat. If you need accessible seating assistance and were unable to reserve an accessible seat in the stadium, please see any staff member and they will accommodate you.
Enjoying the Ceremony
Graduates will process across the platform and have their name read.
Guests will not be permitted near the stage to take pictures. However, GradImages will be on site to take photos of graduates as they process in front of the stage.
After the Ceremony
We are glad you can enjoy this very special accomplishment with your graduate. Please plan to exit the stadium immediately after the ceremony and meet your graduate outside the stadium. This will allow us sufficient time for proper cleaning and health and safety protocols before the next ceremony.